Sunday, July 06, 2008

Taiwanese v.s. Singaporean

Going back to SG again next week as I decided to register for my Singapore Citizenship after my application 2 years ago. It was approved last June and I just got the final notice from Singapore government late May.

I have been delaying this action as I'm still thinking and working out some other possibilities to find a best way out. The main reason why I applied for the citizenship was the traveling issues I got back in SG. However, I'm currently working in Taiwan now and this might cause some issue for me as I would become "FOREIGNER". Anyway, I still decided to go for it as I can see some advantages for my work, life or family. So when I return to Taiwan on 19th Jul, I would become SINGAPOREAN. I can foresee the confusion coming along the way but worth a try I think.

8 comments:

Fili said...

They won't let you keep both nationalities?

Jenny Yang said...

Nope, Singapore doesn't allow dual-citizenship. So got to renounce my Taiwanese nationality.

Fili said...

That's interesting. Do mind telling a bit more about your considerations in deciding to go for the Singaporean citizenship rather than keeping your Taiwanese one?

I also wonder - do you know whether this is a common thing for Taiwanese to do? how do other Taiwanese react to this kind of decision?

Hope I'm not too nosy.

Jenny Yang said...

When I applied, my major consideration is for my traveling. It's more convenient to travel with SG passport. Besides, it's not that difficult to resume Taiwan nationality if needed.

For some reasons, there are quite a number of Taiwanese getting dual nationalities for the traveling reason. That's the reason why quite a number of Taiwaneses got US passport as well.

Most of the time, it costs quite some money but to me it's not that troublesom as I have been in SG for more than 5 years. So I just decide to get it then.

Unknown said...

I also am in a similar situation as you- returning back to HK while having applied for Singapore citizenship- did you change your address at the ICA to Taiwan address?
thanks:)
Ash

Jenny Yang said...

yap... I did change my address at police post but not yet change the ICA side. so they still send mail to my previous place. you should be able to update the Hk address with them.

Unknown said...

Thanks:) How long did it take for your letter to come thru?
Cheers,
Ash

Esther said...

Hi there, can I bother you with a question of mine?
I'm a Singaporean and I'm extremely keen to explore and work in Taiwan... Will it be hard for Singaporean like me to get a teaching job in Taiwan?