Saturday, August 20, 2005

March of Penguins


Watched Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Cindy and Ruby last week at Taipei. That cost me NT$290 (about S$15) for a movie while it's only S$9.5 here. So I decided to save all the other movies after back to Singapore. Then I realized there are quite a number of nice and new movies around, especially March of Penguins which I missed in Taipei this June. I'm so lucky that they brought in this movie that I wanted to watch so much at that time but didn't have time because of work.

March of Penguins is actually talking about the life of Emperor Penguin, the biggest penguin in the world. They live at the south ice dessert and gather once every winter to start their love songs and dances to continue this species. They have to travel from the edge of the ice dessert to Oamock where all the Emperor Penguins gather for this important process to continue the life. They will find the partner for the year and start the process of bringing in new lives.

There are a few scenes that shocked me a lot. First is how 2 penguins find each other among thousands of penguins. To me, all of them look the same, but they can just find "the one" there and start sharing the difficult process of bringing in new lives. The way they interact with each other is so admirable to me as they really see each other the partner. Second, after the mother lays the egg, she would need to go back to the sea to eat as they have been out of the food supply for a few weeks after they left for the journey. So the father has to take care of the egg while the mother is not around. That is also a difficult process as there is high possibility that the eggs would be freezed if the mother does not pass the egg fast enough to the father. The freezing temperature would kill the life inside the egg immediately. Life is so fragile at that point of time.

The father and the baby would have to wait for the mother at the freezing ice dessert for her to come back to feed the baby. Sometimes, the father might not be able to stand through the server environment and two lives would be gone like that. Normally, by the time the mother comes back, the baby has come out from the egg. They can just easily recognize each other as they know that's their families. Then the father would pass the baby to the mother and starts his journey to get the food. That's also the period of time that baby penguins grow up to face the server environment including the freezing temperature and the other animals. Sometimes, the mother would lose their baby if the baby is not strong enough or got caught by the other animals. They may steel or rub other's baby as they can't stand the fact that they lose their baby. This is like human beings also.

A lot of things on this world are sharing the same fact and logics. Sometimes, human beings are just blind because they can't see things clearly from their naked eyes. However, I do realize one thing that I would want to have my own baby one day and maybe I would start improving myself for the better of my baby which I fail to do it now.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

It is always nice to be able to keep up with interesting things late at night reading your blog at times. Especially when I am unable to afford the time during the day to catch a movie, go shopping ( nah, i don't usually shop anywayz )Can't even find time to update my blog! All too busy with my final year project, tests and presentations!! Argh...that's school haha!!

Keep it cool and thanks Jenny!