Thursday, November 03, 2005

Lipstick Jungle

Bought quite a few books last week during Kinokuniya's 20% discount promotion, the first one I finished is Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell, the writer for Sex and the City. It's about three very successful and powerful women in New York City and how they live differently in this new era. The whole book is very interesting to me as it describes the lives that I desire in terms of success in career. Women are getting more power and control over a lot more things. However, there are a lot more sad things that women nowadays got to learn to handle.

There are more and more women taking up the role of "provider", so-called "the man", in the family. However, men still can't get away the stereotype they need to be in power. Or I should say the society still can't accept this kind of changes. So men like those are losing their self esteems and it may cause some family crisis. I guess I myself also can't get away with this concept. So I am actually looking for men who I think strong enough and can take care of me both financially and mentally. However, it's getting tougher and tougher as women nowadays can afford almost everything we require in life. So financial part seems to be only a symbol but just required. The mental part became more crucial in the whole relationship but that's also the most difficult part as people nowadays may not really have time to understand and spend with each other to get the mental satisfaction.

So for my case, I actually came out a theory. I want to find someone who is compatible with me in terms of aggressiveness in work. However, if both of us are working towards our own career, it may end up that either one of us feels that the other party is selfish and only focus on work. So the best case is to find someone who can also be my partner in work, but that's only the ideal situation. It's so difficult to find someone to live together already. It would be even more difficult to find one to live and work together at the same time. Anyway, this is just a theory and need to be proved.

No comments: