Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Oct 10th - Shanghai Day 2

Actually, I spent most of my 2nd day in Xiamen to visit one of my suppliers over there. To be honest, I like Xiamen more than Shanghai. The environment there is much better as they have a better city planning and people there seem to be much more friendly. Besides, that was actually a very interesting experience as that's the place that I have been nearest to Kinmen, one of the island belong to Taiwan. I promised my daddy that we would visit Kinmen one day as that's the place he served the army and I guess he had quite a lot of interesting memory and stories over there. Anyway, it's a rush day as I took the early morning flight to visit the supplier and came back at the evening.

After that, I decided to visit the famous Nan Jing Road which is one of the most famous shopping area in Shanghai. What amazed me is the buildings over there. This area was actually occupied by western in early 20th century. So the buildings there mixed up the component from both east and west. At night, it looked more glamorous.
Nan Qing East Road
Nan Qing East Road
Nan Qing Road
At the end of Nan Jing East Road is Wai Tan where the first batch of these historical buildings built in 19th century. These are all done by the major banks or financial institutes back then. The buildings are really different and glamorous. It's a pity that I didn't take any picture as when I walk across the road they shut down all the lights already. I only managed to take picture for the other side of the river. That's the new area where all the new buildings are located. You can really the new and old Shanghai from these 2 banks of the river.
By the river
After visiting walk around the river, I decided to visit the famous Peace Hotel and enjoy the Old Jazz Band there. They are famous as they mainly played the old music from early 20th century. I really like the atmosphere and the music as we can't find that kind of OLD Jazz music from any other part of the world I guess. : )
Old Jazz  Bank at Peace Hotel

No comments: