Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Oct 11th - Shanghai Day 3

Try to capture the last several hours before sunset to visit the Shanghai Old Street. This is the area with all the historical Chinese buildings. I thought it would be one of the best place to demonstrate the Chinese culture. However, it is too commercialized in my opinion. All the buildings are converted into shop space. The most strange thing to me is to have a "Starbucks" among those shops. It's like a alien among all the shops selling Chinese stuff.
Shanghai Old Street
The Famous Beauty Soya Bean Shop
Strange Starbucks
This is the most famous dumpling shop in Shanghai. You can tell from the long queue they have outside the shop. They actually have a nicer area for dine in with a great view over the garden. It's a pity that I didn't try it as I think that's too much for one person. Maybe try again another day.
The Famous Dumpling Shop
This group of buildings are actually build next to one of the famous garden, 豫園. It is famous for the setting of mountains and rivers inside the garden. Chinese are capable of creating their own space inside their home. I think that's a must for ladies at that time as they can not leave the house at all. If not, I guess they would be bored to death. I can't really go in as they are almost closed when I reached. See if I got time to visit it again these days.
豫園
Went for the famous crab(大閘蟹) for dinner with friends. Everyone told me to try the crab here as that is one of the hottest thing here. These crabs are actually from one of the famous lake in China, 蘇州陽澄湖. It is said to be the season for the male crab. So we just tried it. To be frank, I can't really tell the special part. Maybe I'm used to the heavy taste from Chilly Crab and Black Papper Crab. Guess I still prefer the one back in Singapore. : )
A lot of Crabs
The Famous Crab

2 comments:

Ying said...

hahaha ur blog posting seems to be a food critic of the late comparing food from Singapore, Taiwan, and now to Shanghai :)

Jenny Yang said...

haha.. You should know Shanghai la.. Not so many places to go if you are on biz trip. Food might be the only thing you can really try out lu. ;)