Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Women On Top

There was an interesting article on Sunday Times last week, Women On Top. It's talking about the so-called "successful and confident" women in Singapore and how they look at relationships. Women who are educated, successful, high-earning and confident are called "alpha women" according to this article. Traditionally, men tend to marry "down" as they prefer women who are less educated. So there is a saying that more and more men can not find suitable partners locally so that they would have to look for their brides from other countries. I don't really agree with the idea of finding brides from other countries but I do believe that women want to marry "up", too, as we are looking for partners who are better or if not at least on par to us.

In my opinion, the modern women like us are looking for lifetime partners or so-called soul mates as what we really need is those mental stuff. We can afford most of the material needs as we have enough income. We don't really need people to perform the "traditional" roles that boyfriends or husbands are doing such as drivers or bread-earners. To me, I'm looking for a partner/good friend that we enjoy spending time with each other, inspiring to each other so that we can achieve much more than when we are left alone. Normally at this kind of case, this person needs to be more outstanding than I do in some ways so that I would be inspired to go for a bigger or higher goal.

Lately, a lot of friends are either getting married or having babies. I really started to realize that I'm stepping into a different stage of my life now as I'm also thinking of having babies. : ) I do believe having a happy family and kids are also another kind of achieve and sense of fulfillment other than work. Maybe someday I would become full time housewife and mom as I find that much more challenging than working, but some day maybe. May need to find this partner and get married first. Seems I'm not that un-traditional though my mom was trying to persuade me to buy sperms as long as the guy is smart, tall and handsome enough. What an interesting and different mom. : )

No comments: